Sunday, August 21, 2011

Review: Fright Night (2011), dir. Craig Gillespie

The following review is spoiler free and is meant to be read BEFORE seeing the movie, as opposed to the upcoming podcast episode, which will contain spoilers and an in-depth discussion of this movie

Fright Night movies too slowly for there to be any thrills, it has no scares for it to be considered a horror movie, and it has too few laughs for it to be considered a comedy. I didn’t appreciate much about it. I may be handicapped by the fact that I never saw the original Fright Night, but a movie shouldn’t depend on its source material to be any good (take note, makers of the Harry Potter film franchise). If “getting” the new Fright Night is dependent on having seen the original, then that speaks to poor filmmaking.

The casting is certainly good. Colin Farrell is always dependable, and David Tennant is extraordinary. Anton Yelchin did a good job as well. The rest of the supporting characters made very little impact.

My biggest problem is that this movie didn’t make me care about anybody in it. The characters were so uninteresting that when there’s a moment where the movie needs me to feel something… I don’t. I couldn’t have cared any less about what was happening on screen to these people, save for David Tennant.

The 3D was a waste as well. 3D makes a movie inherently darker, so having almost everything take place at night or in rooms with no lights on really made watching this film a chore.

Rating:
«½
 (1.5/4)

No comments:

Post a Comment